Categorized | Annual Meetings

Draft Minutes of the SLA Encore Caucus Annual Business Meeting – June 12, 2018

Call to order:  Ethel Salonen, 7:30 AM

Secretary: Request that someone take notes for Minutes: Hope Tillman

Ribbons:Encore ribbons were passed out. Ethel announced that these are available in the Registration Area and at the Encore Caucus kiosk.

Introductions: New member to the group Anne Janac was introduced. Introductions were made around the table: Marilyn Bromley, Terri Brooks, Anne Janac, Janice Keeler, Toby Pearlstein, Ethel Salonen, Jean Scanlan, James Tchobanoff, Hope Tillman, and Rebecca Vargha.

Review of minutes from 2017 Meeting: Ethel. Reviewed and Approved by all in attendance.

Report on Treasury: Ethel reported. Ethel spent money in Treasury for 2017 – it was used to buy the ribbons, make photocopies of materials handed out at conference, and gift cards to give out at Caucus program. Terri Brooks pointed out that money for 2018 will be available in September. Caucus can spend money neeeded from this amount during the year but it goes away if not used. Caucus does not have a bank account.

SLA Option 2 is working well for the Encore Caucus. We agreed to continue with SLA Option 2 for next year. With Option 2, the kiosk is free and we do not need to pay to co-sponsor a meeting.

Report on the 2018 program we’re co-sponsoring: the Leadership and Management Division Program: Exploring Critical Issues in Information Management: LMD Book Club, Monday, June 11, 2018. It was held 7:15 AM to 8:45 AM. Toby Pearlstein discussed the handbook she and the late Jim Matarazzo edited, titled, The Emerald Handbook of Modern Information Management, published by Emerald Publishing, Ltd. Many of the individuals who wrote a chapter for the book were in attendance.   Ethel shared Kim Dority’s Thinking about an Encore LIS Career? handout. Hope will add this to the website.

SLA Connect:  Is anyone using it? Those in attendance do use it. There have been a few issues with Connect and several members have been having trouble with communications with staff. The online Member Directory works well.

Main Street SLA kiosk: The Encore Caucus kiosk for 2018 is a great idea.  Terri, Ethel and others are staffing it, and others agreed to stop by to help.

Encore Caucus website: Hope reported that it is temporarily available at http: encore.sla1.org The websites were hacked this spring, and SLA had to move all of them to this location. The Board is considering a different approach to the websites going forward. Hope requested that attendees share content to put onto the website since we had to start our site from scratch when she took it over this spring.

Roles for next year:  Ann Caputo will be convenor for 2019 and Rebecca Vargha will be convenor for 2020.

Program ideas for rest of 2018 and into 2019: Rebecca Vargha reports that the Webinar Series will begin in 2018. In 2019, We will have our usual business meeting and program planning has begun for next. Ideas shared included a focus on health issues or financial planning. Cleveland Clinic would be local. Possible partners would be Pharma, Biomed, Business & Finance.

Ethel was commended for putting together caucus flyer.

Other Business: None

Adjourn: 8:30 AM

Submitted by Hope Tillman

Comments are closed.